LBA Virus Precautions
Official Press Release of LBA - Coronavirus
LBA PRECAUTIONS DUE TO COVID-19
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: “CDC is responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that was first detected in China and which has now been detected in more than 100 locations internationally, including in the United States. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”).
On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization declared the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concernexternal icon” (PHEIC). On January 31, 2020, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex M. Azar II declared a public health emergency (PHE) for the United States to aid the nation's healthcare community in responding to COVID-19. On March 11, 2020 WHO publiclyexternal icon characterized COVID-19 as a pandemic.”
The Lafayette Bar Association and Foundation fully recognize the severity of the COVID-19 pandemic and will take necessary precautions to protect its staff, its members and the public in order to prevent the spreading of this virus.
To protect our staff and patrons, if you are feeling sick, have been around someone who has been sick, or have recently traveled to an area infected with the virus, PLEASE avoid entering the building.
If you are trying to purchase forms, you may ask someone to come in your place and purchase them for you. For questions, you may call our office at (337) 237-4700.
In an effort to do its part to prevent the spreading of COVID-19, the Lafayette Bar Association & Foundation will be implementing temporary changes to business operations, programming and events until further notice. Among these include:
• The “Counsel on Call” program will be suspended until further notice.
• The Public Law Library will be temporarily unavailable to public patrons; however, the Lafayette Bar Office will be open for pro se litigants to purchase forms.
• The H.E.L.P. program will be suspended until further notice.
• The Protective Order Panel will continue to take place through the Lafayette Bar Foundation; however, modifications will be made. If you are seeking a protective order, please call the Bar Association first to discuss modifications to that process.
• The Lafayette Bar Foundation will still be facilitating pro bono cases assigned to our office by Acadiana Legal Service Corporation.
The changes will be on a temporary basis; however, it is possible that these modifications could be suspended indefinitely.
The following events scheduled in the month of March and April will be cancelled or postponed until further notice:
- HIIT Training Course scheduled for 3/18/2020 – Postponed
- 12th Annual Birdie with the Bar Golf Tournament 3/27/2020 – Postponed
- LBA Family Law Section Meeting & CLE 4/6/2020 – TBA
- LBA Young Lawyers Section Meeting 4/14/2020 – TBA
- LBA Criminal Law Section meeting & CLE 4/8/2020 – TBA
- LBA Spring Social 4/30/2020 – TBA
- Lunch with Judge Juneau 04/24/2020 - Cancelled
All Court Orders, as they become available, will be located on the Lafayette Bar Association's website under the “COVID-19” page. Changes to Lafayette Bar business operations and recommended best practices can also be located on this web page.
Any changes to business operations, programming and events will be communicated through the LBA's official social media accounts, website, and email communications. If there are any questions about upcoming events or programs, please call us at (337) 237-4700